
Today is a day of firsts.
The kids started school today. As I write this they are already home for recess. The joys of school being just downstairs. Their teacher Diana has gone from a classroom of 3 students last year to 9 students this year. 2 of them are 5 year old Haitian twins girls who are just learning english. Needless to say, she needs your prayers.
The kids were excited but lacking the normal first day of school nervousness. I'm sure because their classmates are friends (and siblings) and they know their teacher very well already. Their classroom is still under construction so they had school on the porch of the guesthouse...yes, outside but in the shade and under a ceiling fan.
Grant started working at the clinic today. He had a meeting with the medical coordinator and the Haitian director and then was setting up his "office" (a desk in the medical coordinator's office) and checking out the "emergency room" and some of the stock. The workday ends by 3:00 here. Many people have to travel a couple of hours to get home and need to be there before dark. Also, for those who work outdoors, it is so hot that you are pretty well done-in by 3:00 anyways.
For me (Sandy), the first today was the first day of work for our housekeeper/cook. Now I know some of you are wondering why we would have a housekeeper. Well, first of all, our entire house needs to be cleaned every day. It is so dusty and dirty here and your windows are always open. You also drag a lot of dirt in on your feet. Having someone to do that work will free Grant and I up to do more of the work on the mission that we are here to do. We are also providing a job for someone and a means to help support her family. The job only pays $75 to $100 US per month which is so little for us but a good wage for her. We hired a young lady from the church whose husband works at the mission as a translator. She is shy and doesn't speak much english which has made things interesting today to say the least.
So, it has been a day of firsts, but good firsts. We all survived and even had a bit of fun. I am looking forward to tasting what is filling my home with a wonderful aroma right now and happy and thankful that I didn't have to cook it!
Hi Sandy and Family
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your blog- thanks for sharing your thoughts. I just want you to know that I have been praying for you---and especially your beautiful children as they adjust to life and school in Haiti. Diana is enjoying being their teacher- and I know that God has great things in store for their year together!!
love, Twila
Sandy,
ReplyDeleteThank you for doing all of this! Hillary McB. & I are throwing a benefit for MOH here in Nashville. I will link this blog to any of our websites!
-Chris Graff.