
As I write this, the kids are putting up a "thankfulness tree" outside our door. They have written different things they are thankful for on construction paper leaves, taped them to branches and put them on the wall. What a wonderful reminder of all the things we have to be thankful for.
After what we have dealt with in the last 24 hours, we have been reminded of God's provision for all our needs. For those of you who don't already know, there was a serious accident just down the road from the mission involving 7 of our staff. A head-on collision occured between a pickup truck full of people from our mission and a water truck. All 7 were injured but all 7 survived. When I look at what is left of the pickup truck, all I can say is "thank you God".
When you live in a country where people have so little, you are reminded on a daily basis to be thankful for what you do have. You learn to appreciate water, electricity, fans, food, good health care in Canada (yes, it is amazing compared to here. Just ask Grant) and most of all people...relationships. We miss so many of our family and friends but we have found new "family" and friends here in Haiti. One of our new "family" was badly injured in the accident yesterday. We can't describe how thankful we are that he is still with us. His 5 kids spent the night at our house last night so his wife could stay with him at the hospital and we were thankful for their sakes that he survived. He is a vitally important part of this mission and part of our lives and we thank God that He spared him and we know God needs him here...the people of Haiti need him here.
I (Sandy) am so thankful and proud of Grant and all he was able to do to help yesterday. He may speak to you of his frustration with lack of proper equipment and having to sit with his patients in the back of a Suburban. Of driving an hour to the hospital only to be turned away because they were full. Of having to put his patient on a dirty floor because there are no stretchers available. Of having to run across the street from the hospital to the pharmacy to purchase the drugs and equipment his patient needs and come back to the hospital only to have to put in the IV himself because no one there knows how to do it properly. Of having to tell the doctor what tests he wants done on the patient and that she doesn't need some of the medications he is prescribing (saving the family a great deal of money in the process). He was frustrated and tired last night but I was so thankful for him (as were many others). God needs us here, the people of Haiti need us here, our new friends and family need us here...and I am thankful.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
I don't even know what to comment. I'm so in awe. I'm thinking of you Grant and your family and praying of course. I hope your mission family recovers quickly from their accident. Your patients are fortunate that in the midst of the craziness that seems to be the Haitian health care system that they have someone with the training and compassion to do the best they can by them. I can't even imagine. You all are an inspiration to us back home and a testament to following and receiving God's plan. Stay strong!
ReplyDelete~Lexi McKechnie
Grant I have watched you grow up as a focused and determined person who never doubted his calling. I am so proud of you for what you have accomplished with your exceptional gifts. You have always wanted to be a Good Samaritan and help the needy as a paramedic. You are a great example to us all son of an unselfish and sacrificial follower of Jesus as you help people in that country. We pray for you every day and encourage you to continue in your chosen field of service.
ReplyDeleteAs ever, Dad