I really never understood this concept before now. We are just one week away from our return to Canada and I can't believe the range of emotions and feelings we are all experiencing. Riley and Sammy are both excited about our return to Canada right now. They are talking about the cottage and camp and their birthday parties in August. Oh to be young and only have those things to worry about. Michelle and Madison are both leaving a huge part of their hearts here in Haiti. They have made amazing friends and become strongly attached to the kids in our orphanage. We have watched many of them grow so much over the last year. The twins, Hannah and Jeremiah who were tiny newborns when we arrived and now are beginning to walk on their chubby little legs. Matthew who was so malnourished and close to death when he got here last fall and is now not just walking but constantly running.
The changes around the mission are incredible too. There are buildings and structures going up in record speed and the complement of North American staff has grown tremendously too. A part of me wants to stay and keep watching all the changes, to feel a part of it. And a part of me is ready to be back in the arms of my family, where things are familiar and easier. I feel guilty for wanting that at the same time. If you could see how many of our good Haitian friends live you would be amazed. Not only are they happy and content with what they have but they are constantly looking for ways to give to their neighbours who have less. I wish everyone in North America could see it...it is a life-changing, humbling experience.
So we return home with mixed emotions. So happy to be spending time with friends and family. So happy to have hot showers and water that doesn't run out just as you're about to rinse your hair, constant electricity, cooler temperatures so you are not constantly sweating, our own vehicle so we can come and go as we please without having to put in a written request 3 days prior. There are a few more but I don't want it to sound like I have so much to complain about. I think it's a subconscious safety feature that all of a sudden everything we were OK handling a month ago is now driving us crazy. My recent illness and visit to the University of Miami field hospital near the airport (think of the 80's TV show MASH) changed my feeling about returning home incredibly. I was just so sick and tired and all I could think about was being at my Mom & Dad's house, laying in the leather recliner in front of the big-screen TV, in the air-conditioning, with the satellite remote in my hand. That was so where I wanted to be. Instead I was laying on an army cot, in a sweltering hot tent with wood plank floors and a 10 minute walk to the "clean" port-a-potty! I had never been so ready to go back home until then.
It will be a sad goodbye next week. Keep us all in your prayers as things wrap up this week. We are looking forward to being home and to trying to get together with everyone during the summer. 7 more sleeps!


May the Lord watch over you and protect you as you journey home! May your family continue to carry the flame for Christ as you close one chapter in your lives, but open another.
ReplyDelete