Grant all of a sudden had a renewed sense of energy. A feeling of "we can do this now that I have MY team". To see him driving off in the ambulance with Peter or Brian or Glen at his side was just surreal. I could tell he no longer felt like he was handling things on his own.
The team has been working at General Hospital in Port au Prince every day since their arrival. After the first day, the hospital administrator told our medical director, "I want that team of Canadians back. They really care for the patients". They have earned a much deserved reputation for a high quality of care, not just medically either. They are doing some triage and lots of wound care. The number of amputations is astronomical. Infection & dehydration are just some of the things the Haitian people are facing right now. There is the fear of water-born disease and not knowing when or where their next meal is coming from. Not to mention no shelter, they literally have no place to go.
So, we keep pressing on, doing whatever we can for as many as we can. It will be hard to see the team leave on Tuesday. We have enjoyed their help as well as their friendship. I never thought 2 weeks ago that I would see these guys and girls sitting on my couch eating popcorn and chocolate bars. Thanks for the help guys, for the hugs and kind words and for the many laughs. Thanks for all you gave up to come here, you will never know how much it meant to us and to the people of Haiti.
No comments:
Post a Comment